CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, April 18, 2011

A little hole...

When I last left you, faithful readers, I was lamenting the fact that my perfect laundry room was FINALLY finished and someone wanted to cut a giant hole in it.  I realize that it was a good thing and that the results would be well worth the effort, but I was a woman on the edge, people, on the edge!  I'd been living in the middle of a remodel for months on end and we'd finally finished a room and we were supposed to destroy it?  See, are you getting why I was dancing on the edge??

I knew better than to argue with the idea and I did realize that the idea of having a huge walk in pantry would be a large boon to the house and that a garage closet wasn't the best use of space by far.  You see, in my carport was a locking closet that was used to store sheep lye and other odds and ends.  (The lye wasn't mine, it belonged to the previous owners.)  The floor to the closet was a good inch or more higher than the carport floor, which Marc, my dad, to realize that it was the same height as the floor/concrete inside the house.  After some quick measuring, he discovered that the closet was on the end of the laundry room, just off the edge of the kitchen, a perfect place for pantry.


So, one day while I was at work, a poor laundry room took a hit on its way to greatness.  The entire wall was carefully taken down , not harming the insulation or the electrical and water pipes in the wall.  In fact the insulation was carefully removed and replaced in the walls of the closet to insulate the "new" exterior walls. 

After putting a large hole in the wall, we had to have a way to secure the hole and make it look presentable.  So, I took the original door from the laundry room to the kitchen and refinished it.  It then took its rightful place as the new pantry door and the hole was closed...

Remember that insulation from a couple of paragraphs ago?  Good thing we reused the insulation.  Living in Texas keeps you in a constant state of flux as far as the weather is concerned.  We have crazy days of hot and cold and apparently cold is an understatement in this instance.


Yes, that reads 27 degrees and that's Fahrenheit, not Celsius in case you were thinking that.  What happened on this chilly day you ask?  Why we decided to remove the exterior door of the carport closet and repair the wall.  Doesn't that make sense in below freezing weather???  Yeah, didn't think so either, but I digress.  So, off came the cedar boards and slats that make up the walls of the carport and out came the door.  This took a lot longer than the length of time to type a sentence.  It also took a lot longer because we kept running in and out of the house trying to thaw out our fingers.  At least it was a toasty 61 degrees inside!  Hey, it felt warm...


Uh-oh...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for leaving me some love! I appreciate it!